Rocket is my favourite salad green. So many things taste good with rocket. I add it to green salads that might otherwise be bland, and it is a great topping for a range of foods from risotto to casseroles to soups. Rocket is also fabulous as the basis for a salad with nuts, seeds, and an assortment of vegetables.
A salad like the one below works as a main meal for lunch, or as an excellent accompaniment for a simple barbecue.
- 200 g peppery rocket
- 750 g Kent or Butternut pumpkin
- 1 lg clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 red onion, sliced finely
- 100 g pecans, cut in half
- 100 g reduced fat crumbly feta
- 2 T good quality balsamic vinegar
- 4 T macadamia oil
- salt, pepper to taste
Cut pumpkin into 1.5 cm squares. Place on oven tray with garlic and 2 T macadamia oil. Roast until soft. Set aside to cool.
Wash and drain rocket and place in a shallow salad bowl. Add pecans and onion to salad bowl. Crumble feta into salad. Add pumpkin and mix salad carefully.
Drizzle with vinegar and remaining oil, and season.
- 2 rashers bacon rinely chopped and cooked until crispy
- 3 T toasted pine nuts and/or pumpkin seeds and/or sunflower seeds