Someone, I think it was Salsa, once told me that the nutritional value of rice and lentils combined is greater than the nutritional value of them both if eaten separately. I don’t know if this is true, but they taste so good together that I choose to believe that it must be!
This is one of my favourite recipes for a quick but filling and healthy mid-week meal. It is equally delicious in meat-eater, vegetarian or vegan mode…
- 4 c cooked rice (white or brown)
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 T fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg (optional)
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well combined. Lightly spray 20 x 30cm baking dish with oil. Spread rice evenly over the baking dish and press down to flatten the surface.
- finely sliced cooked chicken breast, and/or
- 8-10 mushrooms, finely sliced, and/or
- 1 eggplant, sliced and roasted
Layer your choice of ingredients over the rice.
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 c cooked lentils
- 1 t dried basil
- 1 t finely chopped fresh oregano
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 can tomatoes
Saute the onion and celery in oil until onion is translucent. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Spread evenly over the previous layer.
- finely sliced or grated chedder cheese or
- 2-3 slices day old wholemeal bread
Spread cheese over the tomato layer, or crumble bread into large-ish crumbs, and lightly fry in oil before spreading evenly over the tomato layer.
Bake at 190C until heated through, and cheese has melted, or breadcrumbs have crisped.